Knowledge is power and can changes the tides of battle in favor of those who have it. The US Military – and all militaries for that matter – spends billions of dollars every year developing technology that will provide them with intelligence or “intel”. This intel, if used properly will give them the advantage over their adversaries who don’t have it. The most common form on today’s battlefield is that of remote drones with cameras and sensors that feed information back to leadership so that they may make good tactical decisions. So why don’t we as preppers invest in intel and ways to give our selves the same advantage with the SHTF? Well, drones are quite expensive and can be difficult to use. UNTIL NOW…
This baby has a high definition camera and is controlled via ipad or other “smart device”. Check out the videos – this device will be extremely handy come post event! Can you imagine gathering intel on proximate sources of food or water? How about having 2 or 3 of these on patrol? Save your personel for defensive positioning and let these drones sniff out the bad guys! Use it to monitor a group gathering resources – the possibilities are endless.
I would like to see IR/NV capabilities added and if I know they way tech goes – this is coming.
If you get one - stock up on spare parts and have a solar setup that can be used to charge the controller and drone. Keeping this flying throughout unrest will give you an unbelievable advantage!
GOAL ZERO – Quick Recap: My Goal Zero Adventure Extreme 350 Adventure power pack wasn’t holding its charge. I called Goal Zero and they sent out a replacement battery pack. It works MUCH better. So real world stats… I ran my iMac 27″ for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 80% screen brightness watching movies and THEN, without a recharge, charged my iPhone 4s, ran a “light-a-life” (Goal Zero’s proprietary lamp) AND a small fan all at the same time for another 4 hours!
When the iPhone fully charges I threw on 8 eneloop batteries to charge. FYI - I use them for my Fenix TK41 Flashlight- Which is the perfect flashlight in my opinion (small and bright as HELL!) I have had several Fenix flashlights and they are all durable and quality lights.
Prepper Self-adhesive bandages: I happened to be at my in-laws’ house and in the bathroom were THESE bandages. When I checked them out they were called “Tough Strips“, so +1 for a cool name. More importantly, they are large, waterproof, contain superior adhesive and had a special bandage that not only was thicker so it could absorb more blood but also has ‘quiltvent technology’ which allows superior airflow for quicker clotting and a cleaner wound. Now, aren’t these the bandages you want in your chest rig, bug-out bag or just in your preps? When the S hits the F – we aren’t going to have time for inferior band aids that are falling off… we will need high-quality super adhesive bandages! Just thought I’d share the find with you.
I just stumbled upon this sweet new pack from 5.11 Tactical. It is an undercover tactical pack – in other words, it has tactical features yet doesn’t look like a tactical pack (one covered in pouches and molle gear). Why is this important? If we are operating in a grid down environment but not yet fully emerged in martial law or hell-on-earth; we are going to want to be tactically ready but not appear so. For one, it will keep any potential adversaries from recognizing you as an elevated threat and two, you won’t call attention to yourself from any remnants of law enforcement that may be still operating. This is a great transitional pack.
1) I spent two days painting some old furniture with a spray gun and had to spend hours in a 3M mask. Let me tell you, if we need to wear these on a regular basis for some sort of SHTF event, plan on cutting your productivity by 25% to 50%. They reduce airflow, increase heat accumulation and are just a general pain in the ass.
2) IRAN now says they can target 35 bases if we (or presumably Israel) attack them. Now, Iran is usually full of shit but lets say there is 10% of truth to this – that makes for 3-4 US bases hit by Iran. If that happens does Barrack nuke them? Go MOAB? Or how about using a nuke to EMP their asses? Any of these could be the catalyst to start WWIII. The US may be pulled into WWIII by Israel. That would hurt as our economy is shit and we are teetering on disaster as it is. See the Story Here.
3) You’ll remember I picked up a Goal Zero Adventure 350 kit a month or two ago and did a review. SEE IT HERE. Well, as it turns out the battery was draining 90% in about a 9 days which didn’t seem normal. After a lengthy email exchange with Goal Zero’s customer service a new battery is being sent out and then I send the old one back. Not a bad result but I am not thrilled that my unit was defective. AS ALWAYS – CHECK YOUR PREP GEAR NOW BEFORE YOU HAVE TO RELY ON IT!!!
4) Gold price has dipped. Should you buy now? I am buying a little here and there. Long term there is a good chance it is a good buy.
5) Guns or Accessories. I have been going back and forth about whether to acquire new guns, buy more ammo OR get valuable accessories for the guns I already have. If you have firearms are your optics quality? Do you have backups? Do your pistols have night sights? Weapon lights? Here is the latest from EOTECH which I am purchasing soon for my latest rifle. The magnifier has a buttonless flip to the side feature. Also this is the one that is compatible with night vision!
6) Night Vision. I have not acquired NV yet but am torn. It is expensive but MAN would it be tactically advantageous. I am future proofing all of my optics for night vision capabilities as I feel it is something that will happen and I don’t want my optics to be outdated. Also, for preppers I believe NV is superior to thermal. NV isn’t always about spotting and shooting people but about navigating at night to gather resources, etc. Thermal is 5-10x as expensive and really only outshines NV for acquiring people. My two cents.
7) Barter, Barter, Barter – What to buy for barter? FOOD! I can’t stress this enough… people will always need food! Those who haven’t prepped won’t need ammo but they will need to feed their kids… PREP TOO MUCH FOOD!!!